Welcome to our resource for MG Car Information.
MG TD TF 1500 - 4,000 Miler Rain-checked
|I'm afraid that, after studying their reports and checking with noaa, I'm going to have to allow discretion to get the better part of valor and take a 'rain-check' on my proposed trip to Texas. The probability of running into seriously damaging weather is just too great. Attached is a snip of one of today's noaa maps showing hail areas. I'll attach another showing the thunderstorm areas. These are likely to continue for some time to come. I'd have had to leave here early Tuesday morning and would probably run into serious thunderstorm activity on the way to Texas. The return trip via Oklahoma and Missouri could be disastrous. Both Lazarus and I are too old to take such chances.|
I want to express my gratitude to all of you have been so supportive and offered your hospitality along the way. Perhaps, one of these days, the conditions will improve and I can try it again. The OSH won't go to waste. Bud
|Thunderstorm coverage. Bud
|I can commiserate but to a much lesser degree. I was supposed to go to a show yesterday but the weather and a cocky technical problem prevented it. Car was all packed and ready but went nowhere. Horrible feeling.|
|Bud, as an old, retired military pilot, I think you made a very wise decision. The long range weather forecasts these days seem to predict more frequent hazardous weather than ever before. I will miss our planned meeting but we can put it off to another day. I look forward to that time.|
|Once we took a road trip from LA to Detroit in TD's. I was driving the TD pickup. At one point we were in Kansas and all we could see from north to south was this big huge wall of black clouds coming up behind us. We all got in the cars and drove as fast as we could east to out pace the wall. Terrifying.|
Do you mean the Moss TD pick up?
|Sorry to hear it,Bud. Door is open if you come this way. Have a great summer. Dan|
|Sorry to read of your need to cancel your trip. But, a wise decision. I wonder how many trips this summer might have to be canceled due to the volatile and unpredictable changes in weather we've seen lately.|
Seeing the weather report of snow in Colorado, I couldn't help but think of my planned trip to the Glenwood Springs rallye with LaVerne and Co. I'm planning on leaving on the 10th of June.
Speaking of that trip, I want you to know Bud that I have completed the assembly of the pvc pipe luggage rack support that you so kindly sent a photo of. I will post the completed project after I have painted it. I made a slight alteration, but all-in-all I stuck with the design as it appeared in your photo. Again, much thanks. I hope you are able to complete your trip sometime in the not too distant future.
|Can't fool around with Mother Nature. You made a wise decision Bud. I had a similar experience like Chris Couper. Riding to Sturgis, ND in 2003 on my HD and looking in the distance how BLACK the sky was. Weather advisories interrupting radio programs to seek shelter....|
The problem?? There are no bridge overpasses for MILES to go under to let the storm pass. Got caught in it. Poured like hell. I still rode through it. Couldn't see for crap except the white paint lines on the highway to tell me I was still going straight.
|John, here's an image of the pvc rack being used to transport a portable workbench that I use for doing tech sessions. Bud
|John, I found some more info from 2003 about the rack. If you'll send me your email address I'll send it to you. Ben Prince was the originator. Here's a view of the workbench being used as a deflector (or wing). Bud
|Terrific Bud, that's down right innovative. I can imagine you get quite the stares going down the road with the table attached like that. Not diving too fast I imagine, given the wind resistance that would cause.|
Thanks, but no need to send the additional info as I have completed the project and I'm very happy with the results. I promise to post photos of completed project, attached to the rear wheel, and then the wooden luggage rack attached to the pvc piece. Painting will be done tomorrow.
Cheers -- John
|Weather for proposed first night (Triangle VA). Bud
|Flying down to College Station TX tomorrow morning. BTW, forecast for tomorrow's target (Marietta GA) is for nasty thunderstorms. Bud|
I put the pontoons I purchased for your TD on Craigslist this morning ...but may take the advert down and see if they will fit on the John Deer!
In honor of cancelled journey I intend to drink a cold one for each day you would have been on the road.
(Or maybe one for each mile.....)
|Thunder storms started here in Greenville SC (about half way between Greensboro NC and Marietta GA) last night after midnight. A pretty big cell is currently moving north on I-85. You'd have been right in the middle of it. Good call.|
|J K Chapin|
|Bud's decision was a good example of the Voice of Experience. When we were young after encountering a problem we would say, "Why did I do this?" Now that most of us are older we can happily say, "I'm glad I didn't do that!"|
|Reactivating this thread because I'm activating the Rain Check.
Things have changed. For one thing we've moved from Plymouth MA to Marietta GA. The trip is now just a round trip on the same road, essentially Interstate20. Distance is now down to 844 miles each way. Trip time is now planned for 6 days, Sunday, 10/8 through Friday, 10/13.
Plan on covering somewhere between half way (422 miles) and 500 miles the first day, 9/8, and the balance the second day, 10/9. Similar return plans. Lazarus is looking forward to the run. Covered the missing 1200 miles last year from MA to GA.
I've got Gene Gilliam's contact for going across MS. If there's anybody else who might be close to I20 along the route I'd appreciate hearing from you. No plans for any OSH stops, but it would be nice to know that I'm not too far from help if Lazarus sneezes. My email is atop this post.
Hopefully, there aren't any thunderstorms, tornadoes or hurricanes coming up. After this I'm hoping to do a longer trip in 2019 for my brother's 90th. With that one I'm anticipating a longer return trip to see many of the folks that were on my 4,000-miler itinerary. Bud
|Emergency trailer/assistance is standing by here in Mississippi when make the run, Bud.|
|Thanks, Gene. Hopefully, I'll just get to give you a "Howdy, Lazarus is rolling along" call. Expect to be getting into Mississippi late afternoon on Sunday, October 8th and calling it a day around Newton. Bud|
|Good luck and happy roads Bud.|
|Thanks, Mort. Don't think I've put 300 miles on Lazarus since driving him down here last year. Can look at this trip as a continuation of the 4,000 miler. Marietta was a stop on the outbound leg. Bud|
|Looks like another raincheck. Darned!!! Weather predictions indicate rain with thunderstorms all the way from home to, at least, Jackson, MS. That's my entire planed first day. There's an ugly storm situation brewing in the north of Houston area where my destination is. Not the sort of ride for a soft top machine with side curtains. More suited to my Focus Wagon. Bud|
This thread was discussed between 11/05/2014 and 04/10/2017
MG TD TF 1500 index
This thread is from the archive. The Live MG TD TF 1500 BBS is active now.