Welcome to our resource for MG Car Information.



TR parts and Triumph parts, TR bits, Triumph Car Spares and accessories are available for TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR4, TR4A, TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8, Spitfire and Stag and other TR models are available from British car spares and parts company LBCarCo.

Triumph TR6 - Cancelling the EGR Valve

Hi, Im Carlos from Barcelona.
I have a simple question, I couldnt find the answer in the archives.

I read in a past thread that is posible to plug the place where the EGR valve connects.

The question is: that valve connects to the crankcase or to the exhaust system ?
In case that I cancel that hole, do I need to free the gas in the crankcase from other place ? ( i could use the plate where the fuel pump connects because Im using a Facet in the back of the car )

Thanks in advance
C Suarez

The EGR valve does not tie back in to the crankcase. The valve itself is mounted to the cylinder head on the affected TR6s and has a pipe that runs from it to a port on the intake manifold and pulls exhuast gases from the top side of an exhaust port, kind of an unusual set up compared to most cars fitted with EGR valves. The purpose of the EGR valve is to recirculate some of the exhaust gases back in to the intake system in order to reduce the emission of various nitrogen-oxygen compound emmissions. This particular bit of emmission control equipment was only found on the 1974 and later TR6 carburettor cars.

To get rid of it, you will need to remove the EGR valve from the head and find a suitable threaded plug to fill the hole. On the intake manifold side, you can either find a suitable plug to replace the pipe and nipple where it attaches to the fitting on the manifold or remove the fitting on the manifold and replace it with a suitable plug.


Anybody able to supply info on the exact size and thread of the plug to use in the head?

1976 - TR6
Bob Evans

Thanks Steve and Bob for your interest.
I thought that it was a breather for the crankcase.

Bob, dont worry about the size of the bolt. I will cut an old spare big bolt that comes from the front suspension, or maybe part of the EGR valve in order to plug the hole.
In this latitudes is very difficult to get bolts other than metrics.

C Suarez

This thread was discussed between 12/03/2007 and 13/03/2007

Triumph TR6 index