Welcome to our resource for MG Car Information.



TR parts and Triumph parts, TR bits, Triumph Car Spares and accessories are available for TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR4, TR4A, TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8, Spitfire and Stag and other TR models are available from British car spares and parts company LBCarCo.

Triumph TR6 - Do exhaust manifolds for all years interchangange?

My carbed 73 TR6 arrived with a hole in the exhaust manifold. The good news, it had another exhaust manifold in the trunk. It appears the one in the trunk has a fuel rail of some type. I don't think my current one does.

The manifold that is in the trunk looks like it will fit. Do the '69-76 manifolds interchange? Thank you.
D J Guess

Ummm - no fuel rail in an exhaust manifold. Probably an intake manifold, and the "rail" is for coolant.

Brent B

Yes all exhaust manifolds will exchange...the exhaust manifold in the trunk is from a late tr-6 with a air pump and air injected exhaust manifold...if you are putting it on a 73 its best to getrid of the air injection lines and put plugs in the holes in the manifold...I should expand my first statment all ex manifolds will boltup to all cyl heads...however the early 69-71 had a six into one exhaust...the late 72-76 had a six into two ex. manifold...good luck

Chip Collingwood

Hi Don adding to Chips post. If you use that exhaust manifold. Watch out for the EPA types. It may be considered a smog device removed?

Bill Brayford

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to get the whole thing taken apart and find out it wouldn't fit.

At least everything under the hood is fairly easy to get to. Except, the oil filter. :)
D J Guess

Bill, brings up a very good point with you being in Texas. Unless they have changed the inspection laws in Texas, the key wording on the inspection requirement is that the emission control equipment must appear functional. This means that yes ideed, someone may see the plugs during your state inspection and say that you have removed emission control equipment and fail your car.

Having said all that, I would say go ahead and plug the holes and use the manifold anyway. Just make sure that you take a parts catalog with you when you go for a state inspection. Then if the issue comes up, you can show them that the exhaust port air injection stuff was only on the 75 and 76 cars, that your exhaust manifold had cracked and this later type manifold was the only replacement you could get. Other than the ports for the air injection manifold, the manifolds are the same. In fact, the later type manifold wound up being the last type that was available as new and was considered a superseding part for the the earlier type six into two manifold.

Sorry about the bad guess on the inlet manifold (red faced). I knew it wasn't a fuel rail, anyway...

I wouldn't want to go for any inspection hassle at all. Why not just watch e-bay & look around the web & see what the prices for a "real" '73/'74 exhaust manifold go for? Maybe you could sell the '75-'76 manifold to cover the cost.

I guess I don't know if plugs would interfer with anything, or if there could be a galling problem taking 'em apart & reseating plugs. Probably trivial.

Brent B

What I described sounded like the intake.

My TR6 is exempt from State emissions testing since it is more than 24 years old. I've never been to get inspected (other than emissions testing) where the hood has been opened. Thanks for the help.

I wanted to set the seats on fire last night. I had to remove the head rests so I could get them re-done. In order to do that, I had to remove the spring loaded device that keeps the rear of the seats anchored to the floor frame so I could run my hand up the back of the seats to push in the head rest clip.

I broke three screws in half and they are stuck in the frame. The frame was kind of rusty. Should have used penatrating oil first I guess. Now I'll have to drill and re-tap the seat frame. The headrests will be done Monday though!!!
D J Guess

Your car may be exempt from having to go on the "sniffer," but having mostly grown up in and spent a good part of my supposedly responsible adult life in Texas, part of the annual state inspection for all vehicles is (unless changed since 1999) supposed to be a visual check of the engine compartment and exhaust system. Again, unless the law has changed, all vehicles registered with normal operation plates must be submitted for an annual state safety inspection administered under the authority of the Texas DPS. The only exception that I can think of for a TR6 would be if the car had one of the five year collectible/antique registrations. Cars and trucks registered that way did not have to have the annual state inspection, but usage was restricted to parades and club events. Regular usage was prohibited and the DPS had heavy fines and registration revocation if you were caught using one as a daily driver when so registered.

I seem to recall one break was at 1963 and up they are looking for intact PCV systems and then on 1968 and up, they are looking for intact emission control systems. The operative words were that the "emission control equipment must appear functional." Technically this means that even if your car doesn't have to go on the sniffer, it can still be failed on emission equipment or lack there of in the judgement of the inspector. This was why the cautionary note to have the information with you when you go to get the car inspected. If they do look, it is better to have an answer right then and there than to be failed and have to come back later for another inspection (even if it is free within a two week period at the same location). Part of the joy growing up, I was licensed by the Texas DPS to do state inspections. The basic state inspection (w/o sniffer) was pretty much unchanged from when I had been doing it in the early 70s until moving east in 1999.

This thread was discussed between 26/02/2004 and 28/02/2004

Triumph TR6 index