Welcome to our resource for MG Car Information.



TR parts and Triumph parts, TR bits, Triumph Car Spares and accessories are available for TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR4, TR4A, TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8, Spitfire and Stag and other TR models are available from British car spares and parts company LBCarCo.

Triumph TR6 - mk 6577 gearbox

hi i was wondering if anyone here can help me i recently bought a gearbox,it was sold to me as a stag replacement gearbox as i am converting mine from auto to manual,i have since found out that it isnt a stag box,it has the clutch operating fork on the left hand not the right and the stamp on the box is mk 6577, it has a j type overdrive and the main shaft spline is much smaller than a stag this a tr6 gearbox?
ja thomas


My gearbox from my 69 TR6 starts with CD. It has the A style OD. Later models had the J type. I don't know if the gearboxes in later models had a different stamp designation.

A picture might help if you can post.
Michael Petryschuk

JA Contact mew at

JA - According to this list the gearbox is from a Triumph 2500. Whatever that is.
Brent B

thanks for your help guys, looks like i was caught for 300.00 sterling as the gearbox isnt worth anything bought on ebay as a stag box and the seller wont even reply....oh well you learn by your mistakes eh!
ja thomas


If this box is from a Triumph 2500 it will fit the Stag.
However you will have to change the input shaft to one that will match up to a Stag flywheel. Also check that it has the thicker mounting flange on the bell housing. Now for the Clutch cross shaft, just remove it and re-insert it on the opposite side to put your lever on the correct side. Alternatively you could sell the gearbox as it will fit a TR6 and there are plenty of people out there wanting an overdrive box for their TR6. Who knows you might even make a profit.
C J Norcott

I'd say sell it if you can get the correct one

This thread was discussed on 01/05/2011

Triumph TR6 index