Welcome to our resource for MG Car Information.



TR parts and Triumph parts, TR bits, Triumph Car Spares and accessories are available for TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR4, TR4A, TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8, Spitfire and Stag and other TR models are available from British car spares and parts company LBCarCo.

Triumph TR6 - monza exhaust system

I am looking for information from anyone that has converted their '72 tr6 to the monza exhaust system sold by trf. I cann't see where the pipes route though for the double pipe system. If this goes under the frame members ( between the frame and the road) that will really decrease the ground clearance. thanks for any advice dave

Way back in 1975, my '73 TR6 needed a new muffler, as the old one rusted and cracked at the inlet. I purchased the Monza system, and other than typical fitting adjustments, it installed just fine. The '72 should be a single pipe system from the header to the muffler('73 was a dual pipe from the header to the muffler). The pipes installed in the same location as the factory pipes - between the frame rails and the breast plates. If the system you are looking at is the same I purchased in '75, it should have a muffler that installs between the frame rails. The pieces visible at the back end (ie-mufflers) are actually called resonators. When I had installed only the muffler, I had to run an errand - it was VERY loud, but was much quieter when the resonators were installed.
Anyway, the system should install in the same location as the factory pipes - not underneath the frame.

Also, you need to keep the chrome tips clean - the chrome corroded quickly on mine.

Hope this helps. (For the record - I have a factory-type system today - but will return to a stainless Monza type system during the current restoration.)

Thanks for the help Bob,
Now I wonder if there has been a change on my car because it has a two pipe system starting at the manifold. the current sale catolog from the roadster factory page 19 shows and tells of a two pipe system for a 72 Looks like a lot of stuff to fit in a small area. dave

My 72 has the 2 pipe system. I replaced it about a year ago and can remember real well that far back. I also just had it out to replace the differential mounts.
When I replaced mine I went for the stock system as I wanted the original sound. If I was to do it again I think I would use the stainless outfit. I rode in one with the Monza and found it to be too loud. That can happen after you reach a certain age.
Joe Justice
Joe Justice

Most 72's have dual pipe, I think some early ones have a singe pipe, if it really matters.
Adam Wilhite

It would seem that I stand corrected.
Perchance was I confused by the number of carbs.
Anyway - the header would determine whether it is a dual pipe system.

This thread was discussed on 03/12/2002

Triumph TR6 index