Welcome to our resource for MG Car Information.



TR parts and Triumph parts, TR bits, Triumph Car Spares and accessories are available for TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR4, TR4A, TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8, Spitfire and Stag and other TR models are available from British car spares and parts company LBCarCo.

Triumph TR6 - Rear suspension

My '75 Tr6 is too smooth on the rear suspension.
When I press down the rear end of the car, on the right corner particularly, it bounces too much. The left side is better.
I know that the shock absorber (damper) can be refilled with oil. Maybe a low level or a lack of oil causes this problem.
How can I check the level, what kind of oil is needed?
I have checked and found the damper and noticed that it is oily...
I didn't find any comment on this topic in the handbook of the car.
Thanks for some help.
PD Pierre

You do not mention that you have any rear end squat so I presume u do not and the springs are OK. Yes a bounce is a good indicator of bad shock (damper). Remove the road wheel (jack car up first:) and on the top of the damper is a plug that can be removed to fill. I use a 20 weight oil. Do not go for the expensive " original gerling damper oil" a waste of money. If you have oil leaking from the arm then you might have a bad seal. The dampers themselves might require rebuilding. Before refilling or adding oil remove the nut attaching the damper arm to the link assembly. Now you can operate by hand the damper arm. You should have good resistance. Is the resistance same for both sides? Remove the fill plug and fill till it overflows (this is how u check the level). Fill slowly as air bubbles might get you thinking it is full. Replace the plug and try the resistance again....same or better?? If same then a rebuild is in order. If better try the bounce of the car corner again. I know there is someone out there who rebuilds in Canada...any help here guys?
Good luck
Rick C
Rick Crawford

Thanks a lot Rick. I'll check that next week-end, following your instructions.
I already removed the wheel and observed that the damper is covered of oil.Probably need to be rebuilt.

I've found a few minutes ago in the Moss catalog the shock absorber fluid. I understand from your comments that this is not absolutly required and that it won't damage the system to use 20 grade oil.
Pierre Demers

Not a problem my friend. No you do not need the expensive shock absorber fluid. When at the Bronte car show 4 years ago ( as a spectator looking at 6s to help me on my restore) I bought some oil from a chap selling it at a booth and if I recall he also rebuilds them. If another Ontarioite saw him this year or knows who he is please post. The pint bottle reads " 20W Quaker State Shock Oil". You might find that there are probably others here that use the same oil they put in there engine (I use 20W50). Let us know your results Pierre.
Eick C
Rick Crawford

Pierre--You may also want to investigate other lever arm shock adjustments discussed here:

Rick Orthen

Another item to try is Harley fork oil. Saw it listed on a TR web site.
Don K.

Pierre - Another alternative is hydraulic jack oil. It worked well enough for me. However I still updated to tube shocks for a firmer more controlled ride.SC

HI Rick,
I finally found time to fill some oil in the damper and observed a good improvement.
Since the damper on the right side of the car was oily compared to the one on the left, my suspicion is that it'll work for only a short period.
I suppose that I'll have to change it .
A story to follow.
Thanks again
Pierre Demers

Pierre - You may want to get them both re-built. There are at least 2 places I know of who can do it - near New York City and in Virginia. Check the archives too.

For you gentlemen who were talking about avoiding that "expensive shock oil", I saw it at Stowe for $6.00 per quart (in US Dollars) which comes to less than $10.00 CDN.

Considering what we pay for other things and parts, I don't consider "real Shock oil" that expensive. You should have checked our LBC sponsor noted on this BBS first. He was there too and had it at that price.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A
Don Elliott

Well at least you have joy with one side. I have gone through my stack of business cards and did not find someone who repairs lever arm shocks. I know someone who does (did??) this was at the Bronte car show 2 years ago. Did not have time to see the supplier booths this year (Bill B; did you see him?). If anyone north of the border knows of this guy, please post otherwise it looks like it has to go to the good 'ol USofA for repair. Or go the conversion route. Pierre, are the 6 slotted screws on the top cover tight? there is a gasket here. You will require a stubby screw driver.
Finally,Don, I agree with your comment re using the right stuff. If I saw "real shock oil" @ 10 bucks a quart (liter) up here in Ontario (just a wee bit closer to where I live) , I would buy it. I did the next best thing and bought oil from a guy that I am positive rebuilds (rebuilt) lever shocks ( he had an array of different types of lever shocks some where "cut away" visual units). Next time I am in Detroit, I shall drop in and see Jeff and see what he has to offer.
Good luck Pierre
Rick C
Good luck Pierre
Rick C
Rick Crawford


Does the name Russ Bamsey sound familar?

Info that I have on him is as follows:
Hydraulic Shock Absorber Rebuilding

Work: 519 442-3673
Fax: 519 442-4932

14 McCammon Street
Paris, Ontario N3L 1V9

I seemed to remember getting his card at Bronte a couple of years back.



LG Middleton

Thanks a lot folks!
Rick, I'll check the 6 screws on the cover.
Don, I was at Stowe and bought oil at 7$US which is not bad.
Pierre Demers

Len thanks for the post. I am sure I got a business card but lost it or put it someplace where I would not loose it:). It must be the same guy. Just tried the phone # and no answer. Sent a fax with my e-mail ...let you know if I get a response.
Pierre, that is a good price for the oil. I am curious what the label says on the bottle..was it a quart?
Rick. C
Rick Crawford

This thread was discussed between 16/09/2002 and 02/10/2002

Triumph TR6 index